Sunday, September 9, 2007

Haha I still run like shit, but my blood pressure is staying lower

Ending Bankroll: $406.29

Not many brutal suck outs, but a few that stung. I played a couple MTT's. Busted out pretty quick in two after repeated steal attempts kept failing when my hole cards reaked. The 3rd MTT was one of my fave 4$ 180's. I got deep in that one after a few favorable hands launched me to #4 in chips with 30 remaining. I proceded to build up to 2nd in chips, and then decided it would be fun to donk it all off being over-aggressive. Apparently I still need to find the line between "protecting a big stack" and going for the "monster stack domination". The hyper-aggression was working great from 30 players down to 16 and then all the wheels came off the cart simultaneously. The hand that started it, coincidentally, was my worst suck out of the day. 17 players left, a MP player who's been open jamming his 5K stack multiple times per orbit does his thing, and I'm OTB with ATo. I reraise to isolate, and get HU against his A8o. The flop drops 8K8. I bit my lip and smiled, glad that I'd built my stack to 30K where a beat like this didn't cripple me. I kept playing the same style, and proceeded to lose 4 raised pots in a row (all 4 times I had no kind of hand - I think I saw an AK sooooted early on but I was painfully card dead as usual today). I'd like to make a point of the fact that I did not feel at ALL like I was on tilt. The beat happened on the last hand before the break so I had 5 minutes so get some water and shake it off. Anywho, carrying on, I then got Q9 soooted in the BB and it folded to the SB who made a stealish looking raise. I jammed on him, he called and barely had me covered .. AK beat me down and I was out in 15th. Little disappointed with that, but I don't hate the way I played .. I'm going to have to get used to being hyper aggressive because I'm anything but a luckbox, and I certainly can't rely on my cards to win me a tournament. Yuck.

Then I shifted to the STT's. Long story short, I bubbled twice when 60/40 favorable positions got rivered by a 2nd draw that the trailer picked up on the turn (straight first time, flush second). I just finished the last ass whipping now when I got all in with AJ against KsQs. The flop was a friendly 234 with one spade. The turn was a 8s, and the river was the 4th spade, and my fifth 4th place finish on the bubble in my last 7 STT attempts greeted me.

I'm glad I stepped down a level. Many days this would have put me on tilt, but I stuck to the strategy I outlined in my last post and I'm actually sitting here smiling, happy with how I played today.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better luck. I'm overdue.

No comments: