Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bouncin' Around

Wheeee! Had a break even series of days. Had a day to play a series of MTT's which saw me bust out of three 4$ 180's, a 5$ 45 man, a 5$ 360 man and a couple 2$/3$ MTTs with > 1200 people. There were a couple sick coolers and some ugly-ish beats. I don't remember too many specifics except the following thing I was thinking for a while afterwards:

If your premium hands aren't performing, you're never going to go deep.

It's a pretty obvious statement. And Saturday was a huge demonstration of the times everything seems to get cracked. I had AA cracked by 66 AI preflop, I had KK cracked by ATo and J8o (Got him in on a J-high flop with one pair and the river was an 8). AK missed almost every time and it seemed like my opponents were always floating me and it's frustrating! Arg! So a lot of good hands fucked me over. My one cooler was running QQ into a 3-all in preflop war where it was my QQ vs KK and TT. The only hand that improved was the the K's, so whatdaya do? You keep on truckin!

So I tried one of them 10$ 45 man tournies. I let myself play one of these a week because my last couple performances have resulted in a combined ROI of ~250%. I ended up making the final table with an average stack, getting a bit short, but then doubling up twice late courtesy of the table bigstack who was giving chips away as best he could. In the end I 3-bet shoved KQ into the donkytonk chip leader who snap-called with the monster A4 and I was done in 4th. I would have been 3rd, but the table short stack doubled up twice, both times by sucking out. Grr @ being cheated out of an extra 20 bucks! haha. Oh well, 4th paid 56$ and change, so that was nice. It made back the money I'd lost in the other tourneys and then some, to finish the day around 240$.

Then yesterday I had a gross cash session where I definitely found the down side of the variance coin and dropped back to 228$ I might throw up some hand histories later (don't have 'em here) but to some up some of the better ones, I got QQ all in preflop and AK rivered an Ace. I had KK cracked yet again, this time by a player who called all in on the flop with a naked OESD. Just a lot of situations where I was 70/30 or 60/40 or 55/45 where my opponents always seemed to get there. Oh well. Keep on truckin'.

Definitely getting better at staying cool after beats. Well...More cool. I still get a little hot under the collar.



See ya next time. I'm due for a heater. Haven't had one of those in a while.

No comments: