Saturday, May 10, 2008

100th Post, The Home Game, Meeting a GBIFF

So I was sorta hoping to hold out my 100th post for a decent cash or something, but that could take years, so instead I'll talk about the home game that until this week, I had been crushing.

Since I started this home game in late December, we've met almost every 2 weeks, with some exceptions due to scheduling conflicts. In 5 months after 11 get togethers for exactly 23 games, this is what the leaderboard looks like.

1. Ken C: 540$ <--- me
2. Eric T: 160$
3. Sean L: 145$
4. Sean M: 140$
5. Ben S: 130$
6. Ian: 130$
7. Steven L: 120$ <--- better known to some as "Leafs"
8. Evan W: 80$
9. Tristan: 75$
10. Alex M: 50$
11. Mark P: 30$
12. Jene W: 30$
13. Travis M: 20$
14. Shane: 20$

Needless to say, on the average, the field is pretty soft for a not-completely-shitty poker player like myself. The #3 player is my personal pupil. The problem with just about everyone in the game is they overvalue weak holdings, and don't know how to play aggressive properly. Since I took Sean L under my wing, he's gone from slightly below middle of the pack to #3. I told him after the game last night that he's not getting any more tips..

Now how about this Leafs character. A couple months ago I was welcomed into the +1 community. Shortly after my inception, I got acquainted with this "Leafs" person who had just moved out to Calgary. He caught wind of my game, wanted in, and offered free beer since he works at Molson. Needless to say, I got him out as fast as I possibly could.

The game last night was the first time he'd managed to make it out. Always strange to meet a gbiff. He quickly went to work on the weak field. I tried my best to take the winds out of his sales, but he got there twice against me, once with A9 vs AK (vs another AK) all in preflop, and then another time with K8s > A2o in resteal situation (he raised OTB, I shoved from BB). He took 2nd in the first game for 20$, and took the second, bigger buyin game down for 100$ when QJs beat 44 all in preflop.

It was fun havin' you out man, despite the fact that you took my spot as the master of suckouts. haha...

That's all for now. I've finally got internet at home again, and hopefully PokerOffice support has fixed the bug that basically makes it useless for FullTilt since the last update, so I'll be at the tables a bunch over the next lil while trying to chip up to a respectable bankroll.

Thanks to all my readers.. regular or otherwise. The first 100 posts were fun. I'll try to keep it that way.

No comments: