Saturday, June 7, 2008

June Improves, Playing AK for Stacks Preflop?

This graph pretty much tells the story of the month so far. If you read the previous post, that's pretty much WHY this graph looks like that. I started today's session around hand ~1600 and played pretty hard. I actually laid a cooler of my own for the first time in ages, and had some big hands hold up.



Here's the hilight of the night.






On another note (Lets talk some strategy!!), it appears I've forgotten how to play AK preflop. Being a long time tournament player, I'm usually all about getting all the chips in the middle preflop. But when I'm playing cash for some reason I have a hard time doing it, and when I DO get it all in preflop, I usually lose a race to QQ or I'm dominated by KK/AA. So I'm gonna enlist any of my cash readers to help me out here. (Please?)

Here's the first one. The eff stacks are huge here.



Seat 1: inspekt0rgadget ($75.20) 26/21/2 over 112. No history.
Seat 2: betasheet ($25.80)
Seat 3: CheckinMyAA ($54)
Seat 4: henketico ($22.70)
Seat 5: CBornot ($25)
Seat 6: soso84 ($35.65) 18/12/1 over 96. No history.
CheckinMyAA posts the small blind of $0.10
henketico posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to CheckinMyAA [Kd As]
CBornot folds
soso84 raises to $1
inspekt0rgadget has 15 seconds left to act
inspekt0rgadget raises to $4
betasheet folds

Do I 4bet here? Do I flat? For some reason I got lost. I wasn't thrilled about 4-betting because I would hate to call a 5bet shove from the CO who has me covered... And flatting seems crappy since we're OOP. WWYD?





Now here's another one, this time with nice 100bb stacks.



Seat 1: inspekt0rgadget ($62.30)
Seat 2: Jordanabanana ($0), is sitting out
Seat 3: CheckinMyAA ($25)
Seat 4: henketico ($22.95)
Seat 5: turning page ($25.35) 19/14/1 over 40
Seat 6: muck_it 16 ($5.25)
henketico posts the small blind of $0.10
turning page posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to CheckinMyAA [Kc Ah]
muck_it 16 folds
inspekt0rgadget folds
advizory adds $25
CheckinMyAA raises to $0.75
henketico folds
turning page raises to $2.35
CheckinMyAA raises to $6.50
turning page has 15 seconds left to act
turning page raises to $25.35, and is all in
CheckinMyAA calls $18.50, and is all in




Is this ultimately standard?





Apologies if these are stupid questions, I guess I need some reassurance / refresher, and to stop thinking like a tournament player.



Cheers!
- Crush

3 comments:

OhCaptain said...

I wish I knew the answers. I suck at cash games and think too much like a tournament player too. I'll be watching your comments!

Joe P. said...

I'm not too much of a cash game player but I think the second one is standard. I'm not sure about the first one, though. I think you posted it on CPer, so hopefully you get some quality responses.

-JP

Dan said...

Hand 2 is standard up until you call the shove... at that point the pot is laying ~1.7:1, so you need ~41.5% equity to call. According to stove, he needs to be 5-bet shoving 1010+, AQs+, AKo for you to call profitably, so it may well be a fold. Perhaps the 4-bet should be a little bigger? I struggle with these hands too, so I'm afraid while I understand the problems I am never too sure of the solutions!!!

Hand 1, I actually don't mind flatting. When someone cold-calls a 3-bet, it sets alarm bells ringing, and I think it might set you up nicely to check/raise the flop and take it down. It also controls the pot somewhat. Again, I'm flapping about in muddy waters though lolz.