Friday, March 7, 2008

Beating the Home Game (Part 3) and Hand Conclusion AND +1 Membership

Lots goin' on today!!

+1 Membership!
First off, I'm a proud new member of the +1 forums. Apparently it was lucko that nominated me for being "drafted". Pretty flattering for a microdonk like me. I must have made some improvements from when I first showed up at Cardplayer because I had a new asshole torn for me a couple times early on. Cool stuff.

Hand of Interest Results:
So a couple posts ago I showed you guys a hand that I wasn't thrilled about. Some of you are in the fold the turn camp, others are in the shove the turn camp. Personally, I'm more inclined to side with latter. In this particular hand, it turns out I played it "perfectly", but not "correctly".

Results: Villain had A6o, no flush draws, nothin'. Just an unimproved ace. I won the hand, and I'm certain he would have folded if I shoved the turn - but that still doesn't excuse me from playing it the way I did. I went on to take first. I also took first in 2 out of 3 SNG's last night (once in a 20$) for a gross of $135. That was nice too!

The Home Game
The home game had another good turn out. Again I won both games - not for a lack of trying to lose (the second game). The first game was fairly standard. I didn't win many hands until we were 3-handed. I have Q5 in the BB and we see a cheap flop. It comes Qxx, my opponent in the SB check/calls a large bet. The turn is a 5, but it completes the flush draw. I shove, and he calls, showing a baby flush. I'm calling for a 5 on the river and sure enough....booom. I hit my 4 outter and double up. I don't remember the hand that won the first game, but I know I was ahead.

The second game was a walk. The hand I 'tried' to hang myself on was this. We're 5 handed with one guy nursing a tiny tiny stack.

Blinds 200/400
Hero (UTG) ~5000
V1 (OTB) ~5300
V2 (SB) ~5800
BB ~1200

Hero gets A9o, raises to 1000. V1, V2 call. BB folds.

Flop: A K T, rainbow.

Hero checks, OTB bets 1500, SB calls, Hero shoves, both players instantly call.

My thinking was one of them HAD to at least have a better ace or KT or SOMETHING. But:
V1: A3
V2: A6

The turn and river rag and my 9-kicker plays, and I cripple both of them and take a rediculous chip lead. I never looked back after this hand and ended it when I flopped a flush with Td9d vs J7 or something. He turned two pair, but I dodged the 4-outter that saved me in the first game, and that was that.

There was a lot of moaning about how lucky I am and such - and I won't lie, I certainly did get lucky. Every game it's getting easier and easier to play against these guys, so next time I'm going to voluntarily sit out and just deal for my buddies and let them play. The 120$ I won today puts my leaderboard profits at ~350, with the next closest person at ~140. I feel pretty bad...

But looking at this pile of 20's cheers me up :)

Thanks for readin!

1 comment:

lj said...

whatta guy, that lucko. congrats on the wins.