Friday, July 13, 2007

Started rough, finished OK

Bankroll: $110, UP 50$
[I know it's really small, I recently cashed out 300$. I find I get carried away when my bankroll gets "large" (for me)]

Had a lot of time to play some MTTs. First few were miserable. Out fairly early in all 3 due to flips failing / 60/40 lead losing, and in one case, me making an absolutely bone-headed call.

I don't have the HH, but it went something like this (I am ashamed)

Dealt KQ in MP. Opened for my standard raise. Folds to SB who calls. Board flops rags. 578 if I remember right, with two diamonds. SB checks and I take a shot at the pot. Turn is a T. SB checks again and I fire hard, trying to represent an overpair. He calls again. River comes a blank. For some reason I can see QdJd in my mind and I'm certain that's what he's playing. He's flat called before on draws. He bets, though... So of course I put him on bluffing a missed flush / straight draw. I don't take terribly long and call (I was sort of pot committed but the blinds were still low and WTF .. haha, this call was for almost all my chips). He flips A7 with no diamonds. Surprised, I laugh at my own stupidity and focus on the other tables I'm playing.

So after 3 busts that cost me 20$-ish, I get to sit down tonight.. I felt like multi-tabling so I fire up 2 4.40$ 180's and 1 10$ 180. Right away I start running really well in the first 4$ and the 10$. #2 stack in the 4$ and #10 stack in the 10$. The 2nd 4$ I bomb out of quite quickly after three big aces blank on the flop and get outplayed from there.

I took a couple hits on the first 4$ tourny taking me down to ~10th in chips. Once I had KQ on a JT6 flop, and I played it aggressively, check-raising a bet frop one of the blinds that had called my PrF raise. He shoved and I snap-called, but the board bricked on my big draw and his 9T was good.

Had another hand where I held QQ in the BB. UTG+1 limped, a couple other players called, and I raised. UTG+1 quickly pushed, I snap called, putting him on 77-TT and he showed me KK. I don't see people play 2nd hand low very often... I didn't get a miracle, but I still had a lot of chips.

In the meantime I go dead in the 10$ tourny, stay alive a few times only to get outplayed in the BB. I held J9 in the BB and the button open raised 3x. He'd been raising a lot of flops and I put him on a mediocre hand and push for 6k, making it ~4000 for him to call. He takes a long time, and finally calls, showing A8. The board rolls 88958. Ouch. GG me, nice call by him. (AGAIN I finish in 27th...haha)

Long story short, I final tabled, and its a final table experience I'd probably rather forget. I arrived with 74K, good for best stack. I had absolutely bowled over my table when we were in the final 14, thanks to some well timed cards / bluffs.

At the FT, the only player close to my stack immediately went hot, knocking off 4 players and accumulating 150K in chips. I've gone dead again and have dwindled to 50K. Every time I try to make a play he comes over the top of me and I fold every time... Embarassing, letting someone roll over you like that... There were 5 of us left, and I still had 40K, the other 3 stacks were all under 20K, so I was essentially holding on for 2nd. I know, terrible. But I just couldn't get the nads to make a move with all the garbage the dealer kept throwing at me. Needless to say, one of the smaller stacks started to run hot too, picking up AA, AQ to double up twice. I make my move with K9 (best hand in the last 30) and get busted up by the AQ referred to above. GG to me, done in third, with an 85$ consolation prize.

I wanted first, I tasted it. I probably should have. I just really don't know what to do when I'm running so dead. There were two spans of 10~ hands where I was 9 high. All my hands were 92, 82, 52, Q3, A4, etc. (The A4 got moved in on post flop and I had no pair no draw, so I let it go)

Just too bad my run at the 2nd last table couldn't carry over. Oh well. Next time. My game seems to improve every time.

It was just a wierd experience for me to be in the top 10 for chips the whole tourny. Normally I run dead early and hang around the middle of the pack until the final 40 when I usually chip up to a competitive level (or go bust) and the cards start coming. Previously, I've gotten too lose when I hold lots of chips midway through a tournament, so I'm glad I held my game together today.

I might go play another before bed .. its the weekend and F, I'm not tired yet.

No comments: